Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Packer Sundays

Its now been over a month.  I'm not sure if things are getting easier or more difficult with Dad being gone.  I think about him constantly and there are times when it hurts more than others.  There are still little things that send me into crying hysterics and then slowly I get better and remember something funny he has said or done and I can't help but smile. 

I miss our trips, I miss his warm smile, I miss our conversation, I miss everything, but the one thing I really miss is Packer Sundays with Dad.  The funny thing about Dad that I really never thought about until this weekend is that I'm pretty sure that Dad wasn't in love with the Packer's, but of the idea of Packer Sunday.  He did care about them winning, but most of the time he was more concerned with having people over and entertaining while everyone else got to enjoy watching the game.  He would be in the kitchen for the first half of the game making up appetizers (usually cheese, sausage and crackers, a variety of veggies and almost always shrimp) and bringing them out as he was preparing to grill up hamburgers or brats for halftime.  As long as "TOUCHDOWN" was yelled at each score he didn't really even seem to ever be watching the game itself.  He also HATED having to watch commercials so more than once he would have us pause the game to come eat so we could go back and watch the game minus the commercials.  That drove many of us completely insane, but tolerated because Dad didn't give us a choice.

Packer Sundays just don't seem the same anymore.  Not only have the Packer's been terrible these past few weeks and stricken with injury, but the luster and shine that Dad would bring to Packer Sunday now seems dulled.

~ Julie G.

No comments:

Post a Comment